
So, Sawyer had his fourth visit to the ER last night. Sydney and Sawyer were playing around the pantry, chasing each other. Well, Sawyer was inside the pantry and supposedly pulled on the apron that hangs on the inside of the door. He must have pulled it with quite a bit of force and didn't realize that his thumb was in the door on the hinged side. All of the sudden I heard horrible screaming from him (i was right there in the kitchen) and he was bleeding badly from his thumb. It was his left thumb...the same thumb that he had torn a nail off of less than a year and a half ago. It looked awful and I could see that it was damaged at the cuticle again, but wasn't hanging off like his previous injury and didn' t look quite as bad. I could see it was bad enough for a visit to the ER though. I was completely shocked that this happened a second time to him. We arrived at the ER and got him into see the doctor. She ordered X-rays which determined a fracture underneath the base of the nail. After numbing it, poking a hole through it to release the blood, and wrapping it, we were on our way home again. Sawyer was a big boy through it all. He cried a lot, but he was brave. Poor little guy. So, his thumbnail should grow back, but might be deformed. And I literally was just showing off his thumb to our librarian (the one who drove us to the ER the first time in '07) last Thursday and telling her how good it looked. Oh my...here we go again. :)
He doesn't have a splint, we just need to wrap it really well with lots of cushion. He has to be careful not to hit it because it could pull his nail off. And, since the bone is broke it needs extra security to let it heal, which might take only two weeks since he is so little. Please keep our little guy in your prayers. I am asking God to send angels to surround him and his thumb while it heals so we don't find ourselves back in the ER.
He doesn't have a splint, we just need to wrap it really well with lots of cushion. He has to be careful not to hit it because it could pull his nail off. And, since the bone is broke it needs extra security to let it heal, which might take only two weeks since he is so little. Please keep our little guy in your prayers. I am asking God to send angels to surround him and his thumb while it heals so we don't find ourselves back in the ER.

3 comments:
Oh my, Brenda! We will certainly be praying for him...and you too. He is such a tough little cookie!
Poor guy! Yes, we will be praying for him!!
I can't believe it!! again.. that little boy is accident bound!! I hope it heals good for him and MOMMY
Love
Indiana Aunt Sherry
Post a Comment