Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Sydney, post-surgery...

Yesterday Sydney had her tonsils and adenoids removed. Her tonsils were extremely large and she was suffering from a little sleep apnea. Thankfully, it is behind us and we are on the road to recovery! Surgery went well. Sydney had been very nervous about the whole procedure. She kept asking about needles and shots, etc before hand and spent many moments in tears. The morning went smooth and she was calm before the procedure.

I am so thankful that the hospital did these things to make her comfortable:

-She was given numbing cream on her hands to numb where they were going to be placing the IV.
-She was given a drink that made her feel relaxed right before surgery. After having it she said, "I am not scared anymore, I feel...I feel happy!" Whew. Thank you miracle liquid.
-She had no idea that she was going to have an IV, thanks to the numbing cream and that miracle liquid. (Where are these items when I am in triage awaiting a c-section? Ohhh, they are in pediatrics.)
-The anesthesiologist was a comedian who kept our daughter cracking up and relaxed with phrases such as "EWWW" and "That's gross!" and "I don't give shots, I don't like needles."


After the procedure, she spent time sleeping most of the day away. She was a little teary at first. Then, she got some liquids in her, slept, drank, slept. That was pretty much the afternoon until we left at 4:30. In fact, we all got a little siesta at the hospital. After picking up her meds, we were finally home. To greet her was this adorable arrangement:

Thanks Aunt Laura, Uncle Gary and Emma. So thoughtful of you.

Here is sleeping beauty. Her ducky and ducky blanket were with her through the whole thing. Both of them spent an hour in the washer and dryer today to get cleaned up from a day at the hospital and to recover from the orange popsicle icy that was spilled on them. Oh, those two items should have been added to the above list. Thankfully Sydney had both of those loving comforts to take into the operating room with her since mommy and daddy couldn't be there to hold her hand. Ducky has hardly left her side. :)


And, that ducky blanket from grandma is worth a million dollars in my book. It is the softest and cuddliest blanket you'll ever find. It unfortunatly didn't make the cut in the picture.
She has one more day tmw. of this clear liquid diet. Then, on to the fun stuff like ice cream and pudding. Yahoo! I can't wait and am excited for her to get past ice and popsicles.
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

KDV said...

Awww...give her a kiss for me! Thinking of you both and praying for peace and comfort! Love you!

Shannan Martin said...

You will be so glad to have that out of the way! I ended up getting mine out in HS and everyone said, the sooner you do it, the easier the recovery is. I also had those gigantic tonsils. :) Hope she's up and running soon!

Anitra said...

We are praying for you, Syd! Get well soon!