Thursday, August 20, 2009

Blueberry Season 2009


We have been blueberry picking 3 times this summer. The first time we went we were in Indiana and went to the organic farm there. We picked huge spartan berries that were DELICIOUS! I froze the majority of them.
Then, I took the kids by myself early August to pick the yummy bluecrop variety. I came equipped with snacks, waters, and entertainment. The kids were amazing and did such a great job picking! Sawyer actually stuck with it for a long time and picked quite a few berries for me. In the past he has had a tendency to wander and not pick berries.


Sydney also did a great job, but that is pretty typical for her.



After a while she got bored and sat in the wagon and enjoyed some snacks, thought about coloring and then decided against it, then finally went to the dirt to draw in it with sticks. What is it about dirt that is so fun? Why does it draw kids in like a magnet? If I had the choice between dirt and crayons and a color book, I would definitly choose the latter. Now, this is where I had to make a decision...do I let it go and continue to pick berries while she is entertained and happy or do I interrupt her creative moment and tell her she can't play in the dirt? I continued to pick berries. We are on a farm afterall. Anyways, I always feel like I need a bath after picking berries! She happily stayed there until I was ready to go. Well worth it. :)



When Sawyer had decided that he'd had enough, I offered him the DVD player. Yes, the DVD player! He was enjoying snacks and then some blueberries while watching the movie. He stayed perfectly happy doing this too! Is that terrible to take a DVD player to a blueberry patch? I am not sure, but it worked!
After we were done, we walked up to the barn and Sawyer was a little active in the barn. The woman working the register asked me how he did out in the patch. I told her that he did excellent and that he had picked berries for a long time. And, I told her about the DVD player. One of the owners was there and he said that he thinks that was a first for the blueberry patch! :)
It is all about survival and getting the blueberries! It was one of the best experiences that I've had out on the blueberry patch and it was the first time that I was brave enough to take them by myself. Haha.


We went again this week with Abby, because it is our annual tradition. We were able to pick fantastic Jersey blueberries this time. The kids picked only a few berries though! For this trip I took along their leapsters and DS and Sawyer had a whole backpack of cars. They did not stay quite so entertained this time. They did some races up and down the row that we were in, took a bathroom break, and of course ate snacks. Thankfully I didn't need to pick as many this time. Just enough to have some fresh to eat and make bluebery muffins. I think it is probably my last trip to the patch, but I woud be happy to go again! I love blueberries that much. :)
Posted by Picasa

No comments: